Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Elder Scott and The Quote Book


Hello!!
 
     Wow, I can't believe it's already been another week! I'm having a hard time even thinking of what's happened since the last time I wrote...we follow pretty much the same schedule every week, so there's not too much deviation. The best thing that happened was last Tuesday's Devotional. Elder Richard G. Scott spoke, and it was AMAZING! First off, we don't know who it'll be ahead of time, so seeing him walk in made my heart stop for a second. A couple years ago, I found a talk he had given I think in the 80's called "Learning to Recognize Answers to Prayer." It's been one of my favorite talks ever since then, and Tuesday's was almost the same thing, but missionary edition! It was SO WONDERFUL! All about recognizing the Spirit, trusting God, and the eternal significance of prayer. He gave us an apostolic blessing that as we remembered that the Lord had called us, we would become masters of the language--both the language of the Spirit and for those of us learning second languages. When he was finished speaking, he sat down and we sang a closing hymn. But just before the prayer, he got up again, kindly gesturing to the Sister who was coming up to the stage to wait for a minute. He powerfully reminded us that the Lord had called us to succeed, not to fail. He bore testimony that the Lord knows each of us perfectly and is aware of each of our fears and weaknesses, but that our loving Heavenly Father knows the person He wants each of us to become and has set us on that path. He said that we will find that our capacity to love and serve and grow will be far greater than we have ever known, and that the experiences we have now will benefit every aspect in the rest of our lives. And then, he looked straight ahead and I swear every person in the room thought he was looking right at them--he said, with emotion in his voice and pointing his finger at us to emphasise each point, "Remember. You have been called."
     Things have continued being great with my district and classes and everything. Learning another language (and knowing you don't have long to do so) continues to be stressful, but I have been so blessed in being able to retain so much, and stumble my way through the rest. Yesterday, Sister Garner and I committed our "investigator" Ernani to baptism!! (In Portuguese. Yippee!) It was neat. It was really, really neat! The thing about role plays is that you know you're not teaching a real investigator, but you are still teaching. The Spirit is still very much there, and you still care about these people. When we were teaching Ernani last night, it was an incredible experience, and that's why. We weren't "fake" teaching--we were actually bearing testimony of what we know to be true! I absolutely love that whenever you give Joseph Smith's account of the First Vision, the Spirit is there. It swoops right in and testifies, "This is right! God loves His children, and his Church and Priesthood authority has been restored!" Our message is so powerful, and I'm so excited to start sharing it with the people in Sao Paulo.
     Well, I don't have a lot of time left...funny stories time. Not really. We think we're funny, but probably no one else does! Umm let's see. Haha so last week, Sister Vaughn and I (Sister from my district) were talking about how the Elders always change their ties. Because they do. As in, three times a day....don't ask me why. Anyhoo, we thought they probably wouldn't even notice if we changed clothes, so the next day we decided to put it to the test! We filled our bags with extra clothes, and every time we went to the bathroom that day (which is A LOT), we changed our outfits! And not only did the Elders not notice, but the other Sisters sometimes didn't either--and they were in on it! We ended up being super drastic about it, and went from all black to bright colors, knee lenth to floor lenth skirts, and at one point I think Sister Vaughn may have even changed into a dress. NOTHING. We told them at the end of the day and no one had any idea. Haha we were so giggly all day long, we thought we were so funny! Anyway, good news! I never have to worry about what I wear on the mission ever, ever again, because no one notices anyway!  We have a running quote book, which we think is hilarious, but I honestly don't know if without context it would be funny at all! Teaser: we've made a whole list of why the Elders have it easy, so one day Elder Kelley came in super excited and said, "I know why you Sisters are lucky! You can dry your hands in your hair!"
...yeah. Like I said, we thought it was funny. :)
 
Well, I love you all, and miss you! Tell Grandma thank you SO MUCH for the scarf, I'm in love with it! Hopefully I'll get to write a little more next week, and I'll try to remember to actually take pictures. Oh, btw--my camera charger doesn't work. Sad.
 
Tchau!
 
Sister Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment