Monday, September 8, 2014

Mariana

Translating this was hard--feel free to edit it if something doesn't make sense. 

"I remember perfectly the day when I was walking down the street and all of the sudden startled by a tall young woman with a strange accent, who started talking with me and asked if she could visit me one day. At the time I was so distracted by my kids running everywhere that afterwards I didn't even remember if I had given the right address. 
They tried three times, if I'm not mistaken, to visit me at home, but each of those visits I was too busy. Even so, God is perfect. he didn't let them give up on me, and how grateful I am for that! When I met them, I didn't imagine that these two young women were the answer to the many prayers I had previously offered.
God, in His infinite wisdom, knew exactly how much I needed this Gospel in my life. I was a little reluctant to accept the invitation to go to church for the first time, but I went on a day that truly was special; a baptismal service. I remember that I was a little nervous because I didn't know what would happen, but God really is wonderful, and everything was perfect--I remember the peace that I felt when I entered the church building. By this time, the Sisters had already invited me to be baptized but I was really worried and scared, wondering if I had made the right choice. After all, I didn't know much about this church and everything was different than what I was used to. But when I saw the man being baptized with such emotion, I thought, "This is what I want for myself!" I was certain in that moment that God had sent me everything my heart had always desired. 
I will never forget the day of my baptism. It was a day of struggles and of tears, but God never fails in His plans. It was hard, but finally I saw myself dressed in my white jumpsuit, with my family there with me! When I was in the bathroom I thought, "It's happening," and I smiled so much it seemed that my face didn't have control of itself!! What a wonderful feeling that filled me in that moment. 
God is so wonderful; everything was so perfect! At the beginning of the ceremony I was super nervous, but when Tharlis (who baptized me) and I went to the font and I entered the water--wow, it was like, "Phew! I did it!" All of the nervousness and all the struggles that I had gone through up to that moment, that burden of sadness and anguish disappeared. The feeling of entering the water and rising again, completely renewed, was indescribable. 
On Monday, I woke up and looked at myself in the mirror, and it was me but at the same time seemed like it wasn't, it was somebody completely different. It was someone more calm, more sure. The holy ghost acted in my life in a great way. Everything had gone through my whole life up to the day of my baptism, I saw now as challenges and obstacles that I had overcome. The pains, sorrows, disappointments--they all seemed like nothing! When I lived them and was going through it all, logically it was hard. They were, in fact, terrible moments, but now I see them not as a trial, but really as god given learning experiences. 
With all my heart, I thank firstly God, for not letting me get discouraged, and secondly the Sisters for the kindness and dedication they displayed, and principally for teaching me that there exists a love so great that it only gives of itself, and doesn't ask for anything in return. 
Before my baptism, I tried to seek God, and because nothing really completed me I thought there was nothing more for me. I had my family, and for me that was good. I had everything and I didn't have anything. Well, my financial life didn't change, but now on the inside, I'm a different person. 
On Sunday I was confirmed and everyone kept congratulating me. I just kept thinking, "They have so much love for one another!"
The classes were great, like every week, but it seemed like the time wasn't moving [as I waited for Sacrament meeting]. Saturday had been very special, with the song the Sisters sang for me and the message that Alinne shared, but Sunday was my confirmation! I received the gift of the holy ghost. 
I remember that the chapel was full, but the moment when the Bishop called me up to the front and I sat in the chair and Tharlis started the prayer, everything disappeared--it was just God and I, and not anything else. An incredible wave of warmth filled my chest, but at the same time that it was in intense, it was also calm, it was gentle. It was if there was so much peace inside of me that my body became lighter--how great that felt! 
Truth be told, I don't even remember who was there afterwards. I only remember the people I saw when I opened my eyes. But it seemed like I was floating, and it was in that state that I returned to my seat. It was so special to take my first sacrament after all of this, it even had a sweet taste in my mouth! I will never forget!
The spirit of God truly transforms the lives of all who earnestly seek the truth.
What I want with all my heart from now on is that I become a better person, so that everyone near me can also see, through my example, the love of Jesus Christ!
I feel like I can make a difference, especially in my family. I don't feel like a part of the world anymore, with all of the ugliness that exists in it. 
I remember asking myself many times what God had prepared for me--for my future, and for my family--but today I know exactly what He expects of me. And above all, I know who I am:
 
"I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!"

Amen."

(She put the amen there, just so you know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment